WORLD

Washington warns Tehran of continuing “unprecedented” operations to transfer weapons to the Houthis

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

The United States called on Iran to stop transferring “unprecedented quantities” of weapons to the Houthis in Yemen, allowing them to carry out “reckless attacks” on ships in the Red Sea and elsewhere.

Deputy US Ambassador to the United Nations, Robert Wood, told the UN Security Council, “If the Security Council wants to make progress towards ending the civil war in Yemen, it must work collectively to demand that Iran stop its destabilizing role, and inform it that it will not be able to hide behind the Houthis.” “.

Wood added that there is ample evidence that Iran “provides advanced weapons, including ballistic and cruise missiles, to the Houthis,” in violation of United Nations sanctions.

He continued: “To confirm the Council’s concern about the ongoing violations of the arms embargo, we must make more efforts to strengthen the implementation of sanctions and deter their violators.”

The Houthis say that their attacks on ships in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden aim to pressure Israel to end its war against Hamas in the Gaza Strip, which has resulted in the deaths of more than 35,000 Palestinians.

The British newspaper “The Telegraph” reported that the Houthis are now cooperating with what is known as “Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula,” by providing the former with drones and exchanging detainees.

The US Maritime Administration said late last month that the Houthis had launched more than 50 attacks on ships, seized one ship and sank another since November of last year.

The pace of Houthi attacks has decreased over the past weeks, as the United States led a military air campaign against them. Shipping traffic through the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden declined due to these threats.

But the United Nations Special Envoy to Yemen, Hans Grundberg, warned the Security Council that “hostilities continue despite the decrease in the frequency of attacks on commercial and military ships in the Red Sea, Gulf of Aden and Indian Ocean.”

He referred to the Houthis’ announcement that they would expand the scope of attacks, and described this as a “worrying provocation amid an already volatile situation.”

For his part, the Russian Ambassador to the United Nations, Vasily Nebenzia, told the Security Council that Israel’s announcement last May 6 of the start of its military operation in the city of Rafah, south of Gaza, where 1.2 million Palestinians took refuge in search of safety, led to “an escalation of the current spiral in the region.” Another degree.”

He added: “There is no doubt that this will have an impact on the situation in the waters surrounding Yemen,” noting the Houthis’ opposition to Israeli attacks that harm Palestinian civilians.

He continued, saying: “We call for a quick halt to targeting commercial ships and any other actions that hinder maritime navigation.”

Grundberg noted that last December, the Houthis and the government took a “courageous step toward a peaceful solution” by agreeing to a series of commitments that would provide a nationwide ceasefire, ensure urgent humanitarian aid reaches the population, and begin a political process to end the conflict.

But the United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator, Martin Griffiths, reported “alarmingly high” levels of severe food deprivation across the country, and said it was expected to worsen during the dry season for crops, which begins next June.

Griffiths also expressed his deep concern about “the rapidly worsening cholera outbreak in Yemen.”

He pointed to reports of 40,000 suspected cases of cholera, and more than 160 deaths, a sharp increase compared to last month, and most of these cases are in areas controlled by the Houthis.

“Hundreds of new cases are being reported daily,” Griffiths said.